Design to Product
We had to make something which would be useful for a range of employees. Therefore, we spent nearly two months of our time designing, iterating, testing and iterating some more, and we tested the product with twelve employees across multiple countries to get a representative sampling.
Since we created usable end-to-end prototypes for each round of testing, the feature scope and tech requirements were very well defined through the process. By the time we started coding, a complete set of comps and interaction flows were spec’d out with animations in Flinto – so we only spent three weeks on coding!
One of the concepts we tested, that ultimately did not make the cut, was a chat bot. Our assumption was that users might identify with a chat interface in this problem space. We prototyped a working chat bot using API.AI, our own web service and Slack integrations. Users loved the idea of a chat bot, but it turns out they didn’t find it intuitive. Users were not familiar with querying for information or searching based on sentences, and functions that require explicit commands (such as starting a new search) were difficult to understand.
- Conducted a workshop with our Telenor clients to understand user needs, business needs, and formulate hypotheses
- Designed solutions in Sketch, MarvelApp and Flinto
- Built a chat bot prototype for user testing
- User tested two iterations of the solution (app and chat bot) with Telenor employees
- Conducted background research with Telenor HR
- Delivered a fully functional iOS app – installable by Telenor employees through TestFlight
- Designed and delivered promotional materials about the product for use internally at Telenor
Our ultimate deliverable was an iOS app that Telenor employees around the globe are now testing. We also made recommendations on how to proceed in the problem space, and Telenor is taking this project forward internally.